Filed Away

Today I am grateful for the cool morning air that awaits Darcy and I as we head out for a run. I am also grateful for time to clean and clear away the clutter in my office at work.

Just like at home, I tend to  be a saver at work too. I will file papers away for future reference or use. And many times, those files will get pulled out, used, and be helpful. If for no other reason than to remind me what was done last time, or what wording we used in a letter or other correspondence. Of course now our files are less paper and more online, but I think I will always be one who prefers to keep hard copies of what I deem important. I can't quite put all my faith, and all my documents, entirely on a computer or in "the cloud."

We have been in transition at my job over the last several years for a variety of reasons. It has been a different kind of busy and has even felt chaotic at times. I didn't have time to keep things as organized or tidy as I would like. Slowly, the clutter filled file cabinet drawers, existing shelf space, drawers in my desk. The clutter creeped into new spaces and I sort of got used to it. I certainly didn't feel like I had time to clean or purge files because of everything else I needed to do.

This spring, after clearing some clutter at home, I got inspired to do so at work. With a colleague retiring, some flooding in our office area, and being asked to move materials from a storage area because of teachers needing the space with room remodeling taking place, I got the cleaning bug. Some of it was out of necessity, but now I am seeing the value. Not only in more space being cleared up, my desk top being less cluttered, which helps me operate better, but also because of some curriculum work I am doing for the next school year. Sure, some of the things I kept have now become dated and have been thrown. But other things will actually be used after I hauled them here from my elementary counseling days over 14 years ago.

There is some gratitude in all of this. Gratitude for the wealth of experience and knowledge I have gained in my current job and previous ones as well. Gratitude for time to do some cleaning. Gratitude for some new things to look forward to with the upcoming school year.

And a reminder that there is one thing I never plan to file away and forget about--habitual gratitude practice.

Comments