"Oh the Places You'll Go"

Today I am grateful for sleep when tired, air to breathe, and a roof over my head. I am grateful for another school year filled with working with many wonderful and interesting people, from students and parents, to co-workers.

Yesterday I talked about the first 8th grade graduation I went to for my nephew. The second one I went to was Wednesday night and it was for the 8th graders at the school I work at. I always go to their graduation and have some roles in helping out with the service. It is a nice evening and a nice wrap up to their middle school days.

The group picked the theme "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" for their program and evening, from the Dr. Seuss book. It's a great book for many age levels at many different milestones in life. What I liked the other evening was the sermon given by the priest referring back to this theme. The key point he made is that the "you'll" is both singular and plural. That we can forge ahead independently in some ways, but that we are interdependent in many. That we can make our own way in life to a degree, but with the help and support of others, we can all travel further and more safely.

A good message for 8th graders to be reminded of the help they have had and will continue to need for years to come. A good reminder to us all to be here for one another in big and small ways.

So many people have helped me in countless ways. I will have the chance to thank some of them today. I will try to extend my gratitude to them in the hours ahead.

Comments