Relish

Today I am grateful for warm blankets on a cold night. I am also grateful for the life of Nelson Mandela and the difference he made, not only in South Africa, but around the world.

It hasn't exactly been a week of relishing our marathon experience and finish, what with exhaustion, busy days at work, a sneeze that was more than a sneeze. But relish can be more than an action. It also happened to be the name of the restaurant in our hotel last weekend: the Relish Burger Bistro in the Westin Seattle.

We enjoyed two meals there, the first on Thanksgiving evening and the second was our post-race meal on Sunday. I relished both meals for different reasons. On Thanksgiving, I was relishing our safe arrival, time with family, and the beginning of our time in downtown Seattle. On Sunday, I was relishing the fact that we had finished marathon #11.

A strong hunger hits me a few hours after completing a marathon. I satisfied that hunger with the same menu item from Thursday. It was a burger and seasoned potato tots. More specifically the bacon & egg burger and potato tots tossed with parmesan and herbs. I have had plenty of bacon cheeseburgers in my day, but never with an egg added. It was very good. I have always been a fan of burgers.

The Relish Bistro wasn't the only thing we relished at the Westin. Our city views from the 33rd floor were great. The lobby ambience was inviting. The marathon expo on the 4th floor was easily accessible to us. Our rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. I am a farm girl at heart. Spending time in a major city's downtown is always worth relishing because it has been a limited experience in my life.

Today I will try to relish little things. Like my back feeling a little better and my movements being less strained. Like the soft light thrown off by our Christmas tree in the early morning hours.Like sharing some oatmeal at breakfast with my son Sam.

What will you take time to pause and relish today?

Comments