Cookies

Today I am grateful to be able to run a little again as I recover from my bruised ribs. I am also grateful to have some patience and acceptance.

Today's word is cookies. I have been doing some holiday baking, specifically two recipes from my Grandma Shindelar. She was my mom's mom and I have very little memory of her. She died when I was 5 years old. I don't have memories to connect me with Grandma, so the recipes are the next best thing. I try to make two of her recipes each year; chocolate star cookies and Christmas cut-outs. My son Sam helps me each year too, though I know that may not always be the case. He helps in shorter spurts these days, but he still anticipates batches of both each year, and I am happy to oblige.

I do enjoy indulging in the cookies myself. Amazing how good flour, butter, sugar, and eggs can taste. Of course, things like peanut butter, chocolate stars, and frosting are nice accents.

But I also enjoy sharing the cookies with others. My co-workers have gotten used to seeing them each year. My recovery friends were enjoying them the other night too. It's not surprising that they would go over well with a group that generally has a sweet tooth. (In case you didn't know, alcohol has a lot of sugar in it, so we find other sources now in recovery.) It's fun to share and I appreciate the compliments on the cookies. It brings me back to that connection with Grandma. She is long gone, but her recipes lives on.

Cookies. Just simple cookies. Nothing too flashy. But bringing gratitude in their own little ways.

Comments