Endure

Today I am grateful for warmer weather to enjoy for a couple days before it gets really cold again, and for my friends in recovery and the laughter and genuine emotions we share.

Today's word is endure: to last, to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding, to deal with or accept.

I am thinking about my brother-in-law Randy, my sister Zita, their children, and Randy's family as they mourn the loss of Randy's mom Irene, who passed away yesterday. She endured ALS for the last couple of years. Her family endured watching her weaken and worsen. There must be some solace in knowing her suffering is over.

I am thinking about so many others who are enduring current and ongoing pain, suffering, hardship.I feel care and compassion for them and send them positive thoughts and energy. In the process, I send myself reminders of how fortunate I am. I have endured the recovery of bruised ribs and torn muscles for almost a month now, but I am making good progress, and I am trying to keep it in perspective.

We cannot avoid suffering and hardship in our lives. But to not have to face it alone, to have faith through it, to see silver linings; that all helps us endure.

I am also thinking about endurance. About running a marathon one step at a time, one mile at a time. We build our endurance as we train for each marathon, feeling stronger, more prepared as we up our mileage. I hope to endure through many more training seasons and marathons. But I will start with today, with one moment, one step. Staying present and mindful.

Comments