Lessons in Humility

Today I am grateful for perspective and for my husband Darcy's help.

I was planning to write a post today called "Relish" because it followed nicely after "Revel" from yesterday. Things change. Instead, let's talk about the lessons in humility that I am getting.

After successfully completing the marathon on Sunday and getting some water therapy in the hotel pool and hot tub, I slipped in the shower and hit my left mid-back on the tub. Lesson in humility #1. To do it after running 26.2 miles? Really? I wanted to revel, not be humbled.

I didn't feel intense pain and I could breathe okay, so we proceeded with our day. I could feel some muscle pain in my back and certainly some movements were challenging, but I made it through the flight home the next day, and through two days of work. In fact, it felt pretty good during the day when I was up and moving. It was tougher to get comfortable at night.

All that took a turn for the worse with-of all things-a sneeze. I sneezed at my desk at the end of the work day yesterday, felt a sharp pain in my back, and got very uncomfortable. Uncomfortable enough to go to the doctor. Lesson in humility #2. It is likely that I have bruised ribs and some muscle tears. The sneeze may have tore a muscle that was weakened by the fall, not to mention exhausted from the marathon and travels.There's not much you can do for such an injury except give it time. Ice. Pain relievers. Rest. More time.

I was in quite a bit of pain yesterday afternoon and evening, moving slowly and in limited fashion. That is hard for me, someone who is always active and on the go. Lesson in humility #3. The last time I felt that much pain and immobility was in the first days after my mastectomies.

My husband Darcy helped me get situated in a recliner, brought me some dinner, assisted in applying ice to the affected area. Thank you dear! Lesson in humility #4.

Lesson in humility #5 is the one most fitting to wrap up a post on a blog about gratitude practice. That lesson is "I am human and it could have been worse." We are fragile and deserve tender, loving care from ourselves and others. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that. I am grateful that the fall happened AFTER the marathon and not before. I am grateful that I have a point of reference that keeps it all in perspective. I would rather be recovering from this physical injury than something more serious, more chronically painful.

Lessons in humility. Lessons in gratitude.

Comments