Drift

Today I am grateful for safe travels over the weekend and for the chance to meet two new additions to my growing extended family. I am grateful for the time with my mom, siblings, and their families.

Today's word is drift. It came to me the other morning as I took a walk. Here is what I was treated to, just a few minutes from my mom's house:

 
 
Stunning beauty, courtesy of Mother Nature. Pristine snow, artfully decorating trees, against a backdrop of beautiful blue sky. The light snow drifted and landed naturally to create this winter wonderland. I felt deep gratitude for my eyesight and my mobility in that moment.
 
I was reminded of my younger days, when we would get enough snow that we could make tunnels in the drifts. Or when the wind-driven drifts were sturdy enough to bear my weight as I would go exploring across our farm fields.
 
I was also reminded of the other kind of drift; to wander from a set course, move away from. Are there healthy things I am drifting away from and need to move back to? Are there unhealthy things I am better off drifting from? Those are good questions as I reflect on one year ending and another soon to begin.
 
Honestly, the dangerous drifting has been away from good eating habits. It happens every holiday season and I let it. It will give me the impetus to drift back to healthier choices as we return to a routine and welcome a new year. But I am happy to report that otherwise I feel like I have stayed the healthy course: recovery, writing, exercising, committing time to relationships.
 
Does either kind of drift get you thinking today? Enjoy Christmas Eve, moment by moment.


Comments