Bosom

Today I am grateful for my job and for help from a friend last evening after I forgot my purse and it ended up behind locked doors I had no keys for. Thanks Greg!

Bosom is today's word. I was more intentional about the choice for today because it is the 5th anniversary of my bilateral mastectomies. It sometimes boggles my mind that it has been five years already. It sometimes is hard to remember what it was like to have breasts. But I can beckon memories of my breasts if given time, and such memories are bittersweet.

Check out my blog post from this day one year ago here.

I was not that bosomy. I wore a size 38C bra. And I was never one to flaunt my bosom. If you saw my cleavage, it was either an accident or I was in a swimsuit. I am more at ease, though ease is a relative term, showing someone my mastectomy scars than I would have been showing someone my breasts. I was neither proud of nor ashamed of them. I just wasn't all that confident in my physical features.

Five years later, I have some hard-earned confidence. Confident that I made the right decision for me. Confident that in my flatness I make a statement about health, wholeness, and moving forward.

I am grateful for my portable bosom, a.k.a. my prosthetics. They work for me when I need them and wait for me when I don't. They have helped me keep my wardrobe, especially my work wardrobe, in use.

And I always feel deeply blessed on this anniversary, any anniversary. I am still here to mark anniversaries, to celebrate birthdays and other notable milestones. I am still here to live this day. Blessings. All of them.

Comments