Expectations

Today I am grateful for a parking spot when we needed one and I am grateful for the warmer weather and sunshine we enjoyed yesterday.

Today's word is expectations. My expectations of myself have gotten me into plenty of trouble over the years. I am the toughest on myself and can push myself relentlessly at times. But I am making progress. I am learning to be kinder and gentler with myself. I am learning to keep my expectations more reasonable and sane.

It starts with me, but I can also be tough on others with my expectations. I wouldn't verbalize the expectations. They were mostly hopes. But when someone didn't come through like I had hoped, or expected, I was disappointed. I am making progress here too, being kinder and gentler with others as well. 

One of my mantras is "expect less, accept more." It bears repeating. And repeating. And repeating.

Healthy expectations keep me motivated. Unhealthy ones exhaust and frustrate me. Yesterday I had an expectation that got me plenty of fresh air and a sense of accomplishment: getting ice and snow off of our driveway. I am a bit picky about our driveway in the winter. I will be out there at 5:00 a.m. shoveling snow when needed. I enjoy the shoveling, the fresh air, the exercise, the time of day; but I also give myself an expectation to keep the driveway clean.

A combination of factors led to a snow and ice-covered driveway for us for several weeks. I learned to accept it, but I didn't like it. The last couple days of warmer weather allowed us to chip away and reveal a good portion of cement again. Healthy or unhealthy expectation? Maybe a little of both, but I enjoyed the time outside yesterday and was joined by Darcy and Sam for some of it as well.

Today, I really appreciate that time we had outside in the "balmy" temperatures yesterday. It was 40 degrees and it felt good, as did the couple of miles Darcy and I ran out in it too. Now, we are thrown back into the deep freeze with below zero temperatures and dangerous wind chills.

At least I have learned to not have expectations regarding the weather. Other than I expect it will change and sometimes I will like it and sometimes I will just have to accept it.

Today I will try to keep my expectations of myself and others reasonable and healthy. I hope you are able to do the same.

Comments