Wrestlemania

Today I am grateful for a car with working heat and for my warm weather gear like coats, hats, and gloves. We have needed them this week.

I am also grateful for the experience that my son Sam is having with wrestling this year. It is the first time he is trying the sport. They had their first meet yesterday and it was away. When I arrived at the school and located the right place, it felt like "wrestlemania" to me after a full day of work. At times, there were three matches going on at once, in a fairly limited space, with lots of wrestlers and coaches moving about and making noise, and a small seating area for spectators. Add to that the fact that this is a sport I don't entirely understand, and my head was spinning.

I observed. I learned. I had brief conversations with people as clueless as I was. And then some conversations with people who gave me a clue. It all helped. I will continue to learn. And I appreciate that one of the people teaching me is Sam himself. He tells me about various moves and how to score points and more. He wrestled one match and I was proud of how well he did his first time out. He lost the match, but felt good about his effort and got good encouragement from his coaches. That is what it's all about.

Two of my older brothers wrestled, as did one of my younger brothers. But I wasn't paying much attention then. What I remember most about wrestling from my younger days is how much my dad enjoyed watching professional wrestling. He didn't watch much TV, but he would when he could catch come pro wrestling action. I think Saturday nights is when it would be on. It's a far cry from the true sport of wrestling, in my opinion, but it entertained my hard-working father and that was a good thing.

Sam is enjoying his experience with this sport and for that I am truly grateful.

Comments