Speaking of Five Years . . . Here's to my Friend Sara

Today I am grateful for the lamps in our house. I like the warm light they give off in these longer days of darkness. I am also grateful for my friend Sara and the news she recently shared with me.

I remember the exact date that I met Sara: Saturday, September 27, 2008. I remember it because it was the day I got my head shaved. I was two weeks out from my first chemotherapy treatment, and it was starting to come out plenty steadily. I certainly had mixed feelings about getting my head shaved, but I was trying to keep it in perspective. There are far worse things to lose than hair.

I was feeling pretty vulnerable that day, but it was a nice day and I donned my new pink hat and we went to a fall celebration in our downtown area. They were giving wagon rides to families and so we took one. Darcy, Sam and I were joined on this ride by a woman clearly in a chemo cap, an older woman, and two small children. I noticed the woman in the chemo cap, but didn't say anything to her until the ride was done and we were leaving. We talked for a few minutes and I found out that she also had been diagnosed with breast cancer earlier that year. It meant so much to me on that day to connect with someone else who knew what I was going through, who knew the vulnerability. We didn't share names or anything, but I appreciated that random meeting very much.

Fast forward a few months, spring of 2009, and I go to Sam's school to pick him up. I notice this woman from the wagon ride also waiting. Her hair was growing back, as was mine a little. We reconnected and this time we got names and numbers. That's Sara. She was with her mom and her two kids that day on the wagon ride. She is almost exactly 10 years younger than me. Her cancer was more advanced than mine and she had to undergo much more treatment. I was impressed with and inspired by her positive attitude and "keep plugging along" approach, even as she had to endure multiple side effects from multiple treatments.

The good news is that she is doing well and she is almost done with the treatment regimens that needed to last five years. She doesn't have to go to her oncologist for a year now. Those are milestones every cancer patient hopes to reach. Congrats Sara!

Sara and I don't see each other often. We might run into each other at the store and get caught up, or see each other at our kids' school. But Sara continues to make a difference in my life because she also supports me in my recovery from alcoholism. Sara sends me a weekly text of support and encouragement and I so appreciate that.

Such stories confirm what I believe to be true. My Higher Power puts people in my life when I need them. Thanks HP! Thanks Sara! Onward!

Comments