My Room of Choice

Today I am grateful for the wisdom I hear from others in recovery from alcoholism. I am also grateful for our home and all the rooms it has.

We moved to this house in 2005, doubling the size from our previous house. We loved our first home when we moved to Minnesota, but we simply outgrew it. One of my favorite rooms in our current home is the family room, so I chose that for the gratitude exercise I mentioned on Wednesday.

When I look around our family room, a few things I am grateful for and that inspire further gratitude include:

*a fireplace for cold winter evenings (sure sounds good in this 90 degrees + heat)
*the computer desk I do most of my blogging and emailing at
*the family picture above the mantle and the several other family pictures around the room, showing our family as the children have grown
*the keepsakes on the mantle including a honeymoon purchase and an anniversary gift
*the patio door leading out to our back patio and grill
*my "serenity corner" containing some of my spiritual inspiration
*realizing how nice it is to have a family to enjoy this room with
*our TV and our collection of home videos/DVD's (I don't watch much TV, but I am glad we have all the home movies we do have and we can pull them out for certain occasions-most recently we watched the arrival of our dog Oliver into our family and Sam watched some of his football videos from last year as he gears up for this season).

One other important feature in our family room is this:


This is a display of our marathon medals, 10 for Darcy, 10 for me. The saying is "Never limit your challenges, challenge your limits."  Fitting words for two people who didn't start running marathons until they were 39. The medals are each an accomplishment, but also a story-of that year's training season, of marathon weekend, of the travels involved, of the cities and locations that we got to see from the unique vantage point of a runner, of running together (9 of our 10 marathons have been the same, starting side by side, and finishing three still side by side).

Those marathon medals hanging in our family room tie family together nicely. It was my niece Katie and her husband who inspired the idea of a marathon. Read about that here.  Two of my sisters have run marathons with us, another ran a half-marathon at the same event, and numerous others have been in the crowd to support us and help us with Sam while we ran (a special thanks to my sister Leonice in this regard). A big part of our inspiration to run is to have that time together and to stay healthy for one another and our family.

Family room. Family memories. Much to be grateful for.

Comments