Keep Counting

Today I am grateful for a cool morning, a bike ride, and the sun and shadows it created. There are many ways to view ourselves. How often do I pay attention to shadows?

I am also grateful for my counseling colleagues at work and for a chance at some social time together yesterday after several hours of work. There was plenty of food (as always) and a chance for a boat ride. Thanks to all!

Paying attention. That is what being grateful is all about. As I wrote about on Sunday, gratitude goes beyond counting blessings. It is also about making those blessings count. I am prone to overlook the most obvious blessings. We all are. My job is one of those. My family is another. Of course, those most obvious can also present the most challenges. But that is part of what makes them blessings.

My job is certainly that way. It is both a blessing and a curse to have been at the same job for 13 years. It's a blessing to be familiar with a place, to have built relationships with co-workers, students, and parents. It's a blessing to have experience to draw on when you know you have a tough phone call to make. The curse part? Familiar sometimes becomes inflexible. The things that are frustrating take their toll.

When it comes down to it, the blessings win out. I have a job, a paycheck, gratitfying days, and plenty of people I appreciate that are connected to my job in one way or another.  That was clear yesterday as I enjoyed the time lakeside with my fellows.

What blessings will you make count today?

Comments