Happy Moments

Today I am grateful for the Chicago song "Feeling Stronger Every Day" and for sweat that lets me know I am moving and working hard.

Yesterday in an email, my sister Danita wished me many happy moments on my birthday. I, in fact, did have many. Thanks Danita! I wish the same for you, every day. Happy moments. Little moments. They do matter and they do get missed if we are always waiting for the big moments or reliving the unhappy moments.

Some of the happy moments I got yesterday:

-coffee and rolls from our local bakery, enjoyed with Darcy on our front patio
-genuine laughter with friends
-texts, emails, phone calls, gifts and cards from family and friends to let me know
     they were thinking of me
-Oliver (our cockapoo) coming over by me for some lovin' (a.k.a. a belly rub)
-family conversation over ice cream
-being treated to that ice cream by my son (paid for with his own money)
-a bike ride with my husband and son on our city's miles of trails
-witnessing the beauty and power of the Vermillion Falls
-enjoying a new dining experience

Pausing to notice the happy moments, to feel them and treasure them, helps them endure.

I sometimes wonder if I had continued drinking the last two decades if 1) I would still be here and 2) If my family and friends would still be reaching out.  Today I am so very grateful for recovery from alcoholism, which overarches all of my blessings.


Comments