More Gems from Anna Quindlen

Today I am grateful for phone conversations with four of my sisters over the last two days. It is always nice to talk with them. I am also grateful for the people who inspire me to keep working day by day on my recovery from alcoholism.

As promised, here are more gems from Anna Quindlen's book Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake:.

On p. 98:
"The learning curve continues, which is just another way of saying you're alive . . . "

She is writing about learning to do a headstand. This was in her late fifties and it took her two years. Once she was able to do one, she said from that view the world didn't look all that different, but she sure felt different. Yes! Keep challenging yourself to move beyond the familiar. Keep pushing yourself to do things that some may say you are too old to do, or why bother?  My learning curve today includes continuing to gain more understanding of the role of acceptance in my life and to learn more about the ever-evolving world of writing.

On p. 164:
"If you want help, you shouldn't act like a person who never needs any."

This was in the chapter on mortality. The line quoted above was said to her by her adult daughter ". . . muttered to me one night when I was angry, and for once I was at a loss because she had so completely nailed my modus operandi."

A wonderful reminder to be vulnerable. To take emotional risks. To allow others the opportunity to be your support for once.

Thanks for the gems Anna Quindlen!


Comments