Life and Sports

Today I am grateful for my friends in recovery. We hold each other accountable and remind one another of the value of humor along the way. I am also grateful for my progressive lens glasses.

On the last page of Sam's little booklet that I mentioned yesterday is a note to me. It reads:

"But most of all I am thankful for . . . Mom, Because I am thankful for all you've taught me about life and sports. Love, Sam"

It goes both ways buddy. Definitely both ways.

Here is a picture of his work:

 
 
This is when I am glad that I save things. I already have several boxes and totes (though they are small or medium-sized) full of Sam's schoolwork and art projects. I tell him, and myself, that we can't save it all. And when he goes through his papers he throws out a fair amount. Maybe the next time we go through some of the older boxes, he, and I, will be willing to part with more "stuff."  But he definitely got this affinity for saving things from me. Not his father. I wish I could be more like Darcy in this respect. He gets rid of unneeded papers much more readily than I do. I'll keep it "just in case" and then it stacks up. But I don't regret saving things like the above. Sam is growing up fast. This is a reminder to me of the child he still is. The child I love so dearly.
 
I didn't ask him specifically what I have taught him about life. I don't plan to ask him. Sometimes I ask too many questions. But he teaches me every day to be grateful for what I have right here in front of me: a family I love, a house that is a home, a pet that is part of the family, our health. He teaches me to be patient and accepting and that we are all "works in progress."
 
And when it comes to sports, I am glad I can pass along my love for games and exercise. It all starts with a game of catch in the backyard.
 
Thanks Sam!
 
 


Comments