Last Go-Round

Today I am grateful for new experiences and old traditions. I am also grateful for my stepdaughter Emily.

Emily is a senior in high school and we are trying to take part in some of the last go-round events for her as her final months of high school wind down. One such event took place last night. She is a member of the pep band and last night they traveled to St. Paul to play for a Minnesota Swarm professional lacrosse game. We went last year and enjoyed it, but the lacrosse crowd is still new to me. The game and the announcer's approach had me both enjoying myself and shaking my head at times. (Brief step up on to my soapbox--why do so many sports have to break out in fights from time to time and why do so so many crowd involvment pieces end up being a little-or a lot-disrespectful to the other team? Where are we headed with this?)

The game was a high-scoring one and the Swarm lost to a team from Calgary 17-16. But those 16 goals meant the crowd got to do the "goal dance" a lot. And that was good, clean celebration. It was fun to look around the Excel Center and see so many just having a good time with it. The crowd was over 8,000.

I had been looking forward to another new experience last night--seeing roller derby live for the first time. The Minnesota Roller Girls took on the Old Capitol team from Iowa City, IA. I did learn about the sport, but I must say it wasn't what I expected. Chalk it up as another new experience.

Emily is enjoying her senior year and doing well. Darcy and I both recall the excitement we felt during our own senior years a mere thirty years ago.

Appreciate the last go-rounds as they unfold this spring Emily. They are the stuff lasting memories are made of.

Blog break tomorrow. See you Tuesday. Have a good day!



Comments