February 28, 1924

Today I am grateful for the blogosphere and the sharing that goes on there. It informs and inspires me.

I am also grateful for my father, his life, his lasting memory.

February 28, 1924 was Dad's birthday. He died on October 23, 1998. During those 74 years, he was a son, brother, husband, uncle, in-law, father, grandfather, farmer, council member, board member and more. He and Mom celebrated 48 years of marriage the year he died. Father to 13, grandfather to 26. He never met the three youngest grandchildren, including my son Sam. He never met his great-grandchildren--22 and counting. But his legacy is lasting.

Dad worked hard his whole life, but also appreciated celebrating holidays, playing cards, visiting relatives, watching sports, reading the newspaper, playing Yahtzee, and much more. The farmer's life is not an easy one, but Dad seemed to strike some sort of balance. I recall fondly his dry sense of humor, his love for ice cream, his striped bib overalls and how he would tease grandkids that there was a mouse in the front pocket, his desire to learn more and stay up on current events, and his inquisitive nature. He could strike up a conversation with anyone. Dad's formal education ended after eighth grade, but his informal education continued until the day he died. Thanks for instilling that desire for knowledge in me too Dad.

Like my mom, my dad will always be something of a mystery to me. I wish I would have had more conversations with him, asked him more questions. But I do have many good memories and was proud that I quit drinking years before he passed away. I'm so glad that he met Darcy and hold dear the memory of he and Mom walking me down "the aisle" at our wedding. It was one of the last times I saw him.

Dad died suddenly of a heart attack. I will always remember being called out of a classroom in Sioux Falls to take the phone call from my brother. I knew it was bad news before he ever said the words. Though it was such a shock to the ones he left behind, he had a good life, and for his sake I appreciate that he died suddenly. He was semi-retired and slowing down, but to be in declining health and capability would have been so hard for him and so hard to witness.

One man. Born on February 28, 1924. His life a gift. My life a gift.

Comments