Happy Valentine's Day!

Today I am grateful for the beauty of winter . . . like the weekend snowfall that helped create this fitting Valentine's Day picture:

 
 
We put up Valentine's lights in the front of our house each year. More accurately, Darcy puts them up and I enjoy them. Thanks dear!

I am grateful for the love that I have in my life today; faith, family, friends, self.

And for the unconditional love I have most learned from others in recovery from
alcoholism and addiction.

There were a few years in my life, quite a few, when Valentine's Day served as a reminder, and a painful one at that, of what I didn't have-a husband, a family of my own. But the practice of gratitude helped me reach the point where I could frame it positively. I have always been loved by my family of origin and I have never been friend-less. I came to appreciate the love I did have in my life, not the one I felt I was missing. But I did hope to find that missing love. And I did.

I always planned to keep my maiden name of Holthaus-a good German name-when I got married. But then I met Mr. Valentine. I am a Holthaus at heart, but I love being Mrs. Valentine. I joke that with our name, every day is Valentine's Day for us. Truly it can be for everyone. Taking the time to be grateful for the special people we have in our lives, and letting them know in big ways and small what they mean to us, can and should happen year-round.

Heart-shaped chocolates may be seasonal, but the love isn't.  Have a nice day!




Comments