And Then There's The Shoveling

Today I am grateful for my physical capabilities and jobs like shoveling snow that I am willing and able to do.

A couple days ago I was talking about sledding, today it is shoveling. I have always liked shoveling snow. I like the exercise, the visible progress, the fresh air, a clear driveway and sidewalk.

In February of 2011, I had the following piece published in the Des Moines Register.


The Philosophy of Shoveling the Driveway
            Life is a lot like shoveling snow. Expected or unexpected, we get dumped on and have to dig out. That process seems slow—one shovelful at a time—but any faster might be detrimental to our health and the lessons might get lost in the piles.
           There can be a bright side to a few inches of snow. A new coating on our sidewalks and our world can give us a fresh start, a do-over. Just look outside. Today is a new day. A good attitude to embrace.        
            Our nation is struggling to make an economic turnaround. There are optimistic signs, but too many are still buried in difficulty. It occurs to me that if we each do what we can for the common good, and for our own good, that the turnaround might gain momentum. Pick up a shovel and do your part. Every shovelful counts.
            It is easier for me to do my part if my attitude is right, if it hasn’t drifted to the negative and gotten stuck.
            Early morning shoveling brought me some strong reminders.  Maybe it was the crisp, cold air. Out in the quietude, before the din of neighborhood snow blowers rose, I was greeted by awesome beauty, pausing from time to time to take in the pristine picture Mother Nature had created. No air-brushing here. This scene demanded notice. Respect nature, revere its beauty, remind ourselves we are not in charge. I am both as insignificant and as amazingly unique as the millions of snowflakes around me. A lesson in humility.
            Tiredness crept in, but my next thought was gratitude. Two years ago I was recovering from breast cancer surgeries and treatment. No shoveling for weeks. Healing and gaining strength back, I try never to take my health and physical capabilities for granted. Gratitude is a positive perception builder if there ever was one.
            Pitching snow brings to mind pitching other natural substances in my youth. I grew up on a pig and dairy farm in Iowa. Believe me, there are far less pleasant things to shovel than snow. Keep things in perspective. Living in a free and wealthy nation, Americans are better off than a vast majority of the world’s population. Yet, we drift. Problems stack up. We forget our manners. We forget to smell the roses. Grab a shovel.  Let’s pile up some optimism for a change.
(Des Moines Register, 2/6/11)
I have always liked shoveling snow, but especially so since my cancer diagnosis.

 

 

Comments