Sweat or Tears?

Today I am grateful for the power of prayer. It helps me let go of fear and worry. I am also grateful for a cool evening and nice sleeping weather.

I'm not much of a crier. I never have been. That's neither good nor bad, it just is. As long as I get difficult, heavy emotions out in ways that don't harm others, property, or myself, I do okay.  A realization struck me the other day. Maybe I'm not much of  a crier because I'm more of a sweater (the action, not the clothing.) 

Admittedly, I grew up not crying much because I thought it meant I was stronger. Wrong! I remember having favorite kittens with each new litter. After losing several of my favorites to untimely deaths-the life of a cat on a farm-I decided I wasn't going to cry about it. The refrain in my head was "Strong people don't cry." Wrong again! Tears are a normal, healthy way to express both grief and joy. But sweat just seems like a better fit for me. In my drinking days, I would run off a hangover and feel the alcohol mixing with the sweat. The sweat cleansed me of the alcohol and the guilt, at least temporarily.

Today, sweat flows more frequently for me than tears, but they both are welcome because they mean I am living, breathing, experiencing life with its ups and downs. As they flow, so does the gratitude.

Sweat, tears or both? Just get rid of the emotions that will fester and weigh you down if you let them hang around. And keep the emotions that are healthy and uplifting.

Comments