Play Ball!

Today I am grateful for my early morning walks with our dog Oliver. They are a nice way to welcome the new day, especially this time of the year when daylight comes earlier. I am also grateful for an exciting and action-packed baseball game last night for my son's team, even though they lost 11-10.

My son and I have been playing ball for years. I taught him the basics and continue to work with him, when he lets me. He's now in his third year of playing organized baseball, and making good strides. I'm glad he's taken an interest in baseball, as I was a softball player and coach for many years. It's a sport I am comfortable with. My hope for him is that he have fun, enjoy the experience, improve, and in the end feel good about his efforts.

I grew up playing softball with my family in our backyard. We had to share the space with clotheslines and apple trees, but we managed pretty well. I loved playing 500 and when no one else wanted to play, I would throw the ball against our cement back porch and play by myself. Softball became one of my loves, and it also ended up bringing me many wonderful memories and experiences over the years, all of which I am grateful for. I ended up playing softball through college and made some great friends in the process. Being busy with a college sport probably helped slow down my drinking and at least gave me a positive in my life.

Before finishing college, I started coaching. I did one year of Little League and then ten years of high school assistant coaching. I truly enjoyed the coaching experience and smile at the memories and the faces of so many players I can call to mind today.

When I hear "Play Ball!" I think about the gift that the game of softball has been in my life. My hope is that my son feels the same about baseball when he looks back on it as an adult.

Comments