BC Support Group

Today I am grateful for my breast cancer support group and the wonderful women in it.  I am also grateful for this blog. Today is post #50 and I am learning and growing in gratitude.

I was able to make it to our monthly breast cancer support group meeting last evening after missing last month. I try to go when I can. I am a firm believer in the value of support groups. It can help the newly diagnosed who are full of fear and questions, but it also helps me, almost four years out from my own diagnosis. It is a dose of gratitude every time. I am here and living life fully. Not everyone gets that chance. Lives are cut short by cancer.

I also see it as a responsibility. Women were there for me when I was in those early days. I want to be there for the woman who walks in for the first time. In fact, my first meeting was several months into surgeries and treatment, and about a month before my mastectomies. A woman was there who was just a couple weeks out from mastectomies herself. She showed us what the drain tubes and surgical camisole looked like and it took some of the mystery out. I haven't seen her since, but she helped me that night. That's the power of support groups.

I appreciate the women I have gotten to know in support group and look forward to seeing them. They are good souls and we always manage a few laughs too.

Thanks Hastings Breast Cancer Support Group!

Comments