Open Fields

Today I am grateful for headphones and relaxation tracks to listen to. I am also grateful for friends who helped me survive my drinking days.

One of those friends is my college friend Deb and today is her birthday. Happy Birthday old friend! Old because we have been friends for nearly 35 years, not because she's older than me :-)

Yesterday was one of those days when I needed my run almost desperately. Mind swirl and exhaustion needed an outlet. As my run brought me to the edge of town, I took in the open fields. I like to hit this stretch, just minutes from our house. An Iowa farm girl at heart, I always appreciate this area. Fewer buildings, less concrete, and pristine snow cover.

Spring and green, the smell of the fresh soil, the new crops coming up. These each are still dormant, but the anticipation of them is heightened. They are mere weeks away. I follow the changing seasons from this open field vantage point. Those changing seasons and being able to experience them is one of my biggest pleasures when it comes to appreciating nature.

After recent travels to the huge urban area of New York City, I was again reminded of my true home. I don't want city life and I don't want to be too far from these open fields. I drive by some on my way to and from work too, but I appreciate them more on foot than in the car.

Open fields and nature. Two things I seek regularly. An open mind and heart. Two other things I seek regularly. Living gratefully helps me find them all.

Comments