Gratitude by Subtraction

Today I am grateful for perspective sought and gained simply by pausing in the early morning quiet to look at the sky and remember I am but a small part of a significant universe. And gratitude for the humility that comes, allowing me the opportunities to make a difference in the ways I can today.

I am always looking for new ways to practice gratitude and here is one I came across at gratefulness.org:

Try this: subtract a person, or an event, or some other aspect of your life. Then make a list of what you would miss or be without if that person wasn't in your life, or that event hadn't taken place, or that aspect didn't exist. Everything you list next then becomes a source of gratitude.

When I consider this exercise and my husband Darcy, the list is long. There are the obvious things. Some are fairly universal among spouses, while others are personal and unique, meant only for husband and wife. In the middle is one I will share here:

Darcy's support during my cancer diagnosis and treatment. He was there with me every step of the way, yet he allowed me the space I needed when I needed it. He listened and helped me process information when it was decision time, but honored my decisions. He was helpful and gentle when I was at my most vulnerable and my weakest following surgeries, treatment, and emotional ups and downs. Thank you Darcy!

I noticed a couple other simple gratitude subtractions on my way to work yesterday. They brought me some calm and a better start to my day. I was heading down the street not far from home and a  vehicle ahead required me to slow down. At first, I was frustrated. I needed to get going. I quickly realized I was mind swirling, slowed down, smiled at myself and had a mindful moment.

A little further on my commute, the song "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie came on the radio. I love that song, but it also served as a reminder to not push myself too hard, in my head, in my expectations, in my pace for the day.

If those two little things hadn't happened on my way to work, my day may have played out differently. As it was, it played out pretty smoothly.

Try some gratitude by subtraction today. Think about it. Write about it. Talk about it.

Comments