Just Stop

Today I am grateful for laughter and fun with recovery friends and for forgiveness of self and others.

On Friday I was considering the value of "just keep going." Today I am focusing on "just stop."  There is a time and a place for both, and sometimes I get them mixed up. I may keep going when it is best to stop. I may stop when I should have just kept going.

At other times, though, I get it right. I keep going and make it through a tough moment, day, or time in my life. Or I stop and regroup, get some heathy perspective back, and proceed in better fashion. This is the story of our lives. Knowing when to push and when to step back. Knowing when to let go and surrender, when to embrace and overcome.

I don't always get it right. I never will. At least I am better able to catch myself when I am in the wrong mode, or catch myself sooner anyway. Less damage done. Less frustration. Less wasted energy. Fewer precious moments or gifts missed.

Some recent lessons on "just stop" for me include:

-just stop arguing my point, pushing my opinion, with Darcy
-just stop feeding the fear and worry and start feeding the faith more
-just stop long enough to sit back, watch the colors of the sky change and the clouds move
     as the sun arrives for a new day
-just stop thinking about the writing project I want to get to and start working on it
-just stop judging and controlling, myself and others
-just stop, breathe, be present

Just stop. Breathe in some gratefulness and breathe out some loving-kindness.

Comments