A Little Detaching Goes a Long Way

Today I am grateful for safe travels to and from Sioux Falls to visit my mother-in-law Marlene, and for time to sit and take in this morning's sunrise.

I am also grateful for the healthy act of detaching. By detaching I mean to disengage, to remove myself and my thought processes, to withdraw to a safer distance. Even if temporarily, detaching can give our minds and hearts the break they need.

It can also bring a perspective I can't ever reach if I stay stirred up right in the middle of all of my thoughts and emotions. This is what I am prone to do, what my default tends to be. So I need to consciously detach and turn my thoughts off. It's like a reset and a fresh start.

It is possible to detach anywhere at anytime, but going away for a couple of days, 250 miles from home, was a good way for me to both physically and emotionally detach. It was helpful, restful. I laughed with family. I ran with and against the wind. I slept in.

What was I detaching from? My own obsessive thoughts. People. Circumstances. Fears. Worries. Frustrations. Expectations. Job. Home chores. To name a few.

I am back home, engaging in clearer thinking and less of an emotional roller coaster. Experience tells me it won't last for long. There is too much going on with too many people, and with my magic magnifying mind.

It was enough, though, to get me back to a place of mindful gratitude. That is always a good place from which to move forward.

Comments

Post a Comment