Modem Lights

Today I am grateful for a visit with my brother, sister-in-law, niece, her husband and their little daughter Romi. It was our first chance to meet Romi and what a happy, curious one she is. I am also grateful for my sister's recipes and a visit with my friend Betsy and her daughter.

A couple days ago I was glad to see all of these lights lit up on our modem:


Especially the last green light, which is for our internet connection. We were without internet for three days. In the whole scheme of things, it wasn't too rough until Darcy needed to go back to work in his home office. Oh how we have come to rely on access to technology.  Sometimes it is a little frightening to me how much business, both personal and job, is conducted over internet and wireless connections. 

In ways, it was nice to have limited access to internet on our computer. It led me to make other decisions on what to do with my time. With our phones, I was able to get done those things that were most important to me. And then I learned about personal hotspots too. (Back in the day, there would have been plenty of jokes when discussing personal hotspots. Now, it just means another way to access the internet.) 

Darcy was able to utilize other avenues available to us in the few hours of work before our internet was restored. It was an inconvenience and a stressor, but it all worked out.

To be forcibly "unplugged" has its lessons. Being voluntarily unplugged seems like a good idea to partake in more regularly as well.

The internet and all of our other network connections aren't as sincere or real as the face-to-face and voice-to-voice connections are. They are important. They are necessary. But let's hope they never fully replace the real deal. 

Living gratefully helps me appreciate any and all connections I get with others, nature, the Great Spirit, myself. 

Comments