Hugs

Today I am grateful for safe travels and family time. I am also grateful for hugs, those given and those received.

I didn't grow up in a hugging family. It was not my comfort level. I think I was in college before I starting some hugging. It was a step beyond my usual, but I had been pretty closed off and inhibited for a pretty long time, so it was freeing. Gradually, my family became more of a hugging family. I am always giving and receiving hugs on visits.

I also have friends I always hug whenever I see them. My recovery friends are good ones for giving and receiving hugs too.

It'a a small gesture, a brief connection. But it is more. It is reaching out. It is saying I care and I am comfortable with you. It's saying you are close to my heart, even if I don't say it outloud enough.

My son Sam has grown up with a hugging mom, and my stepchildren with a hugging stepmom. I think it matters. I think it makes a difference.

The hugs I share with Sam have evolved over the years, and as he hits the teen years they are almost comical at times. He lets me hug him. And he will even give me a little hug back. At home of course. Nothing public at this point. He is now taller than I am. I tell him he will always be my baby though, and I will always want those hugs. It is something special, hugging your own growing child. How grateful I am for that.

Hugs. To give. To receive. To reach out. Give some today.

Comments