Books

Today I am grateful for phone conversations with some of my sisters and for holiday baking. I am also grateful for the role of books and reading in my life.

BOOKS have been important to me throughout my life. I still like the hard copy of books, and have yet to invest in a Kindle or Nook, though they have appealing aspects. I like to hold the actual book in my hand.

Growing up, I remember a couple of my first favorite books were Little Black Puppy and Eloise and the Old Blue Truck. I still have the copies, though tattered a bit and one is without a cover. I read them to Sam when he was little. As I got a little older, Where the Red Fern Grows and The Outsiders were a couple of my favorites.

I went through a historical romance phase for a time, but for many years now have been mostly a fan of nonfiction. I would like to have more time to read, but my life today doesn't always offer much extra time. I also run into the problem of falling asleep shortly after I start reading. It can take me some time to work through a book this time of the year. I get more reading done in the summer.

I was reading to Sam before he was born and we read to him nightly until he was eight years old. He is a strong reader and I feel like we can take some credit for that. He reads more at school these days, but will read before he goes to sleep some nights.

I think about books that I have turned to in my recovery from alcoholism. There are daily meditation books and books where others share what works for them. Some of these books I have read numerous times, some I continue to study like a textbook. They have all helped guide me to healthier thoughts and actions.

I love books. I continue to pursue my dream of getting a book published. It all starts with words on a page, electronic or otherwise. Thanks to the authors of the many books I have enjoyed. Thanks to you who read my words. Onward!

Comments