Skills and Tools

Today I am grateful for my morning cup of coffee. I am also grateful for the skills and tools I have been blessed with and taught by others.

In the last few days I have attended two 8th grade graduation ceremonies at two different schools. The first was my nephew Brennan's last Friday evening. He and his 15 classmates graduated from the small Catholic grade school most of them attended for 8 years. They will be off to the local public high school in the fall, a similar route to that taken by most of my siblings and many other nieces and nephews.

I took my mom to the ceremony for Brennan, the second child of my youngest brother Lee and a pal of my son Sam. The church we were in is the same church where my parents exchanged their wedding vows in August of 1950. Sixty-four years later, what began that day is now an extended family that numbers close to 100. Wow! I am grateful I got to step into that church again. The last time was my nephew's wedding a couple of years ago. It is good to ponder our history from time to time, to consider where we have come from.

The priest who gave the sermon talked to the young graduates about using the tools and skills they have been given and taught by many: parents, teachers, coaches, classmates, siblings. Do I use the tools and skills I have been given and taught? Do I recognize them for their value?  Do I thank the teachers and messengers in my life? Do I thank the higher source of power that orchestrates it all? I try to. A gratitude focus helps me.

With that in mind, I thank my friend in recovery, Terrie, for showing and teaching me the value of gratitude practice nearly 20 years ago. It is a tool I began using a little reluctantly, and can still fight some days, but I know it works. I know it is a tool to keep honed because it in turns hones the gifts that surround me on a daily basis. It brings them into a sharper focus.

What skills and tools are you most thankful for on this particular day?

Comments