Flexible or Rigid?

Today I am grateful for the simple pleasures of reading a book in a comfortable recliner and a solitary bike ride.

After writing about flexibility in yesterday's post, it remained on my mind and I had the opportunity to talk to some recovery friends about it too. That is always insightful. I appreciate hearing from others who work to recover from alcoholism or other addictions. They teach me so much when they share what works for them.

Flexibility allows me to accept my imperfections. Rigidity continues to expect the elusive perfection.Flexibility creates a calmness and some peace. There is nothing too serene or peaceful about rigidity.The former makes way for an open mind. The latter slams the door closed and creates a narrower view.

Rigidity happens when I buy into my own unreasonable expectations of myself and others, when I try too hard to control what is beyond my control. Rigidity happens when I am trying to force outcomes instead of allowing life to unfold as it should. Rigidity is exhausting. Flexibility allows for some relaxation of my thoughts and my body, which in and of themselves help rejuvenate me.

It reminds me of a saying I have heard:  "Do you want to be right, or do you want to happy?"  A rigid approach to life becomes about being right, about proving something to show our worthiness. A flexible approach to life starts at a place of worthiness and leads to the happiness that can come with accepting life on life's terms.

I am grateful for the lessons in flexibility. What does flexibility teach you?

Comments