Mowing the Lawn, Preparing the Meals

Today I am grateful for life's simple duties and pleasures. I am grateful to see that a duty can be a pleasure if I apply some gratitude.

Yesterday morning I mowed our lawn. I have always enjoyed mowing lawn, but our son Sam has taken over some of those duties so I hadn't mowed yet this season. I enjoy mowing more than he does, so when the urge struck me to do the mowing this week, we were both happy. It was a cool and breezy day so the conditions were comfortable. I seem to like tasks where I can clearly see my progress, and mowing grass certainly fits.

Yesterday I also did some grocery shopping, made Sam's breakfast and made the three of us dinner. These are more enjoyable tasks when I am not feeling hurried or harried, or exhausted from a day of being at work. I appreciate the different pace my days can have over the summer.

Mowing the lawn and preparing some meals helped me create this gratitude list:

-having a lawn to mow and a mower that works
-being physically able to do the mowing
-enjoying the fresh air
-having a family to prepare meals for
-having money for groceries
-having a car to make it convenient to get groceries and get them home
-appreciating our kitchen that has what we need to make meals
-enjoying a meal together

Applying some gratitude turns drudgery and duty into simple joys and appreciation. How many times have I mowed the lawn, got groceries, or made a meal and took it all for granted?  Gratitude practice slows me down and puts me in a place where I am less likely to take today's gifts for granted. Then, I appreciate those gifts and this day all the more.

Comments

  1. Hey there! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a massive amount work?
    I'm completely new to running a blog but I do write in my diary on a daily basis.
    I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand
    new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    my webpage; green lawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, your comment was in my spam folder for months. I just saw it today. The best thing to do, for me, was to simply take the leap into the blogosphere and get started. It does take some time, but I enjoy it. Most posts take 15-20 minutes, and I sometimes get some drafts going ahead of time. The work has made me a more grateful person, and a better writer. Onward!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment