Reflecting on Another Father's Day

Today I am grateful for the memories I have of my own father and the 33 years he was in my life. I am also grateful that I have a spouse who makes parenting as much a priority as I do.

My father died suddenly at age 74 in 1998. I never had a chance to say goodbye like someone who sees an ill parent through their final days, but part of me appreciates that I didn't have to see him decline and suffer. In the nearly 16 years since he died, I have thought often of his sense of humor, his work ethic, the way he joked with my mom as only he could. I have thought about the kind of man and father he was. 

Many things were left unsaid and things that should have been discussed weren't when I was growing up, but that was typical of my parents' generation. My dad worked very hard, but he also knew how to have fun and relax. He loved playing cards. He liked watching pro wrestling. He always read the newspaper. He loved ice cream. He loved visiting. He went to countless ball games and events for his children and grandchildren and was nothing but a supportive spectator. If my dad was judgmental, I sure don't recall hearing it much. I try to continue this good-hearted legacy of his, and I let my son know that his Grandpa Art would have loved to see him playing ball or driving tractor like Sam did a couple weeks ago.

I looked back on my first two Father's Day blog posts and I know that I am repeating myself when it comes to my husband Darcy. But it bears repeating. Of the many things I respect about him, his commitment and dedication to being a good father to all three of his children are always high on the list. It has not always been a smooth road for Darcy as a father, but he has never wavered. And I am glad to have him by my side as we raise our son together. Thanks Darcy!

Happy Father's Day Darcy and to all the dads out there. Enjoy your day! 



Comments