Thumbs Up

Today I am grateful for a safe Halloween in our neighborhood and for regular emails to others in recovery. They help me focus on the right thinking as I begin my day.

I am also grateful for my thumbs. My friend and co-worker Liz and I were talking about her recovery from hand surgery yesterday. We got on the topic of our amazing, opposable thumbs and how much we take them for granted. I paid some attention to that point as the day went on . . . putting on gloves, zipping a zipper, washing and drying dishes, tying shoes, opening doors, driving, writing. Okay, pretty much everything I do with my hands utilizes those crucial thumbs.

When is the last time I was grateful for my thumbs? I don't think that one has crossed my mind for a long time. Those poor digits sure get taken for granted don't they? Liz has been especially noticing their importance as she deals with surgery recovery that gives her limited use of one thumb. Thanks for the inspiration and the reminder Liz!

If I take something as minor but yet important as my thumbs for granted, what else am I taking for granted? Plenty.

Today, I won't beat myself up for my ignorance. Instead, I will look for ways that my thumbs come in handy. I will consider what and who else I may take for granted, and try to be more aware and appreciative of their presence in my life.

Comments

  1. Thumbs Up! :) ...and gratitude for the other four fingers that bear the brunt of unexpected and sometimes torturous motion when we can't use our thumbs.
    Liz


    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you patience and acceptance as the healing continues. Why does it take losing mobility before we realize how important it is to us?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment