Five Years of BC Support Group

Today I am grateful for the clothes in my closet. My wardrobe isn't extensive, but it is certainly adequate. I am also grateful for the breast cancer support group I attend.

I realized yesterday, as I thought about going to breast cancer support group last night, that it was November of 2008 when I attended my first support group meeting. I was diagnosed in May but didn't decide to try a meeting out until after I had already had two surgeries and four rounds of chemotherapy. I still see some of the same wonderful women at support group, but one woman who really helped me at that first meeting five years ago is someone I haven't seen since. I don't even recall her name.

This woman was just a couple weeks post-surgery after bilateral mastectomies. I was about a month away from having my own double amputation. To see her out and about was heartening. But she also showed us her surgical camisole and the drain pockets. It was good for me to have that visual as I headed into my own unknown. Thank you nameless fellow BC patient. You really helped me that night.

One of the reasons I continue to go to support group is to see the friends I have made and talk about our ongoing treatment, side effects, families, other health challenges. But I also go to be there for the new person who may walk in the door for the first time.

That is what support groups are about, and I am thankful for mine.

Comments