Four Lanes

Today I am grateful for our Christmas decorations, their variety, the enjoyment we can now get from them, and for the family time yesterday spent putting things up. I am also grateful for bridges, both literal and figurative ones.

I am especially grateful for our new bridge, which now has four lanes open. It's expansive and it's been enjoyable for me to watch the construction progress over the last three years. Like any big project, it took time, patience, and planning. I was just an observer, but after a couple setbacks in the first year of the project-including flooding and a state government shutdown-the contractors actually finished a month ahead of schedule. For that, and the safety of workers and travelers during construction, I am truly grateful.

When it comes to bridges, more lanes seem like a blessing. Compared to the most heavily traveled two-lane bridge in Minnesota we used to have, we now have smooth sailing. But what about in my own life? Too many lanes can be overwhelming. And if I choose the fast lane all the time, what am I missing? It's good to have choices, but what I do with those choices is what matters. I choose to try to spend some time in the slow down each day and not miss the little joys of life.

Bridges are analogies for many things in life. The picture below, and my current profile picture, bring to mind "out with the old, in with the new." It took me time to replace my old attitude-full of self-pity and "poor mes"-with a new attitude of gratitude. This newer attitude helps me see the good in life and helps me be more resilient through the tough times. It energizes me and inspires me.


 
The shift from a two-lane bridge to a four-lane one took time and effort. The shift from negative thinking to positive thinking continues to take time and effort. But it is some of the best work that I do and well worth it.

 
 


Comments