Going Bananas

Today I am grateful for grocery stores and their convenience. I am also grateful for access to fresh fruits and produce, especially bananas.

I have been remiss in giving a gratitude shout-out to my favorite fruit-the basic banana. I have always liked bananas and they are part of my daily diet. Rare is the day that goes by without a banana or two for me.

Sure, bananas might have more calories and sugar than some other fruit, but they have many benefits.They are good for my running muscles before, during, and after a run. There is a reason why bananas, along with orange slices, are the most common fruits found available during and after marathons. They are a good source of potassium and fiber. They are easy to digest and they have some substance so you feel like you are getting some ready energy. And I love the convenience. You don't need to wash them or cut them up. Peel and eat. Throw peel in garbage. Done.

I appreciate that bananas are affordable too. Some fresh produce is expensive, but a few bananas won't break the bank. Some produce items are concerning in terms of chemicals and pesticides used on them. Bananas can have some residues, but they aren't considered one of the worst offenders.

Bananas aren't a local product where I live, so I appreciate the workers and the transportation avenues that bring them to us. Thank you to the simple and healthy banana.

Comments