Home Away From Home

Today I am grateful for the late afternoon run Oliver and I took yesterday in the sun and shadows.I am also grateful for recovery wisdom shared by fellow alcoholics.

Home away from home. I feel like I have two such places. One is my mom's. The other is my mother-in-law's. I appreciate that we are able to visit with each a handful of times each year. And I appreciate that they each have space for us, like to have us there, spoil us a bit, and that I feel comfortable when I am there.

We can spread ourselves and our stuff out. We each have a place to sleep. We know where things are when we need them. That makes for a more relaxing visit. We get spoiled with things like good meals, fresh cinnamon rolls, garden produce, and someone to watch Sam while we run. It's a win-win there because Sam gets to spend time with his grandmothers and they get to spend time with him.

One of the best parts about our homes away from home is that I can truly relax in each. I love our house and I am so grateful we have it, but when I am here, I relax in a different way. I can take it easy, but I still am surrounded by things I might be tempted to do--cleaning, laundry, going through a pile that has accumulated.

When I am at my mother-in-law's or at my mom's, I feel the comforts and space of home, but I don't have the nagging distractions of things I think I should be doing. Relaxation of a different kind.

Thanks Marlene! Thanks Mom!

Comments

  1. The shorter days and the grey skies usher in a difficult time of year for me. Three family members have been diagnosed with cancer right before the holidays, and sometimes it is hard to feel the warmth and joy that the lights and other decorations bring. But I think the short days and grey skies also make me thankful for the warm blankets that I wrap myself in, for the sun when it shines so brightly and with such warmth that sitting near a window makes me feel like I'm in the Bahamas, and for the promise of the warm days of summer that I know will come.

    Because there are fewer distractions of tending the gardens and the lawn, the grey skies also clear my "mind-clutter" and make more room to notice little things like the bard owl unexpectedly landing on a light post to watch me in the early morning hours, or the fox footprints in my sleeping raspberry patch. These little things bring joy, and with them happy memories of loved ones no longer here who taught me to notice the wonders of nature, as well as great gratitude for being able to share these occurrences with those who have weathered terrible health storms and are still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous for your comment. Your words show that "gratitude is a positive perception builder if there ever was one." Noticing the little things is what it is all about. The wind was cold this morning when I walked our dog, but I love the sound of leaves rustling and moving. I hope that your family members facing cancer diagnoses get good test results and effective treatment. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment