Soul Finding

Today I am grateful for my heart and soul, good reading, and good friends.

I appreciated an early morning walk yesterday with my friend Jenny, followed by coffee and conversation with my friend Jill. These two women are kindred spirits to me. We share open and honestly and it's refreshing.

When Jenny and I get together, our conversations tend to bounce from topic to topic and never get finished. I like that. I am always left appreciating our time together and feeling more energized. The same goes for Jill.

The topic of soul came up when Jenny and I were talking. What is soul? Without looking up a dictionary definition, I define soul as one's inner spirit, one's deepest self. Soul comes through in thought, word, and deed. My soul was lost to me in my teens and early twenties, buried in active alcoholism. Recovery and the wonderful teachers I have who show me how to recover have helped me find my soul. Writing during my drinking days protected my soul from being lost forever. Today, my writing speaks from my soul, gives voice to what lies within.

There is less soul searching and more soul finding. Recovery and discovery go hand-in-hand as I try to stay mindful and present and take life in 24-hour chunks. I have found that to be the best way to nourish my soul so it can flourish.

Gratitude practice is vital to my soul finding. To be a kind soul to others, I first need to be kind to my own soul. Gratitude makes both more possible. When I am looking for the good in the world around me, I find it. The same holds true for the people around me.

From soul to sole. My sole mission on this life's journey is to honor my soul. From it comes all that I am and all that I am meant to be. From it comes the love and compassion I have to offer others.

Thanks for the soul finding assistance so many have given me in so many different ways over so many different days.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post, Lis! And thanks for inspiring me.... I started a blog.... zenjen4444.wordpress.com.... I have ONE post so far! See what you think. Your blogs really do make me think and I want to be a part of this world wide conversation now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you Jenny! And I am so glad to hear you started a blog. I look forward to checking it out when I get home. You have so much to contribute and it's a great way to channel that writing energy that resides in us. Keep swimming my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment