Everybody Has a Story

Today I am grateful for our son Sam and what he teaches me as I try to do my best to love him, support him, and parent him. I am also grateful for a clean and convenient water source just a few feet away from me. How many people in the world don't have that luxury?

Yesterday morning on my commute, another construction vehicle slowed traffic as we crossed the bridge, just as it had a couple days ago. That allowed my eyes and mind to roam a little, and I again noticed the bridge workers. I counted close to thirty who were already at work and doing a variety of things at about 6:30 a.m. It got me thinking about how everyone has a story.

I wondered about each of those workers and what their stories are. How had they come to be part of this bridge construction crew? Do they have families? Are they locals or imports? Do they like their jobs? The questions could go on and on.

Then, at school, I pondered how every student has a story, every co-worker. We each have a life story, but we each also have a daily story. When I slow down to notice the blessings around me, I also notice the people around me. When I notice the people around me, I tend to listen better and to be kinder and gentler in my thoughts and actions. Another bonus of gratitude practice.

Everyone has a life story. If I keep that in mind and respect that, I have the opportunity to judge less and learn more. Everyone has a daily story. If I remember that, I am more likely to show patience and acceptance. How do I know if they have had a great morning or a rough start to their day? How do they know what my day has been like so far?  If we treat each other with kindness and respect, we are adding a good paragraph to the story. I would rather do that than add a frustrating little footnote to someone's day.

Everyone has a story. I am thankful for mine and what I continue to learn. I am thankful for others, because they share their stories and we grow and experience life more fully because of it.

I will be taking a blog break until Monday. Enjoy the weekend!

Comments