Need a Lift?

Today I am grateful for doctors who patiently answer my questions and for good ice cream.

I am also grateful for the lifts I get from others in so many different ways each and every day.

Sometimes we literally need a lift. Circumstances leave us without transportation and we catch a ride with a friend, a family member, or a co-worker. Sometimes we literally need a lift because we are recovering from surgery, a stroke, or a broken limb. We can't get up or stand up on our own.

I saw a couple of recovery friends yesterday who need lifts of the literal kind. It got me thinking about  "need a lift" and the many ways you can look at it.

I often need lifts of the emotional and spiritual variety. And I am very thankful that I have many available to me. Yesterday they included a phone conversation with my friend Jill, time with other recovering people, laughter, reminiscing and going through old toys with my son Sam, and a head and neck rub from my husband Darcy. I am grateful for all of those.

But I also have ongoing gratitude for the higher power in my life, whom I often refer to as God. (I don't think titles matter as much as having the faith, so I hope that whatever name you give your higher power fits for you.) Time and again, when I stay in the gratitude and out of the self-pity, I am shown the grace and humility to proceed with the day-whether it be a typical day or a more challenging one.

Thanks to all who lift me up and for the opportunities I have to give a lift to others.

Need a lift? Try an A-Z gratitude list, take a gratitude walk, write a gratitude letter. Simply put, pay attention.

Comments