What's Your Ringtone?

Today I am grateful for the voice of Natalie Merchant. I am also grateful for the convenience of a washer and dryer right down in our basement to make doing laundry easy.

What's your ringtone on your cell phone? Maybe you have several and know who is calling based on the song that comes on. I keep it basic. One ringtone for all. My first cell phone had Loverboy's "The Kid is Hot Tonite" as my ringtone for years. That was partly because I didn't know how to change it after my step-son put it on there for me, but also partly because I have always liked that song and it's ability to transport me back in time.

My next ringtone has also been longstanding, though I couldn't tell you how long. It is the song "Kind and Generous" by Natalie Merchant. (from her 1998 album Ophelia) That song meant a lot to me in 1998 when it came out. That was a big year for me: I got engaged, married, became a step-parent, moved to a different state, left a place I had lived, worked, and recovered in for 6 years, started a new path in my career, and my father died suddenly that October. I was already working on regular practice of gratitude, but still more in the novice stage. This song was a good reminder to me.Listen to it here. I am deeply blessed in many ways and through the many people who touch my life.

The song gets me out of myself and thinking of others who help, support, encourage, and push me. "Kind and Generous" is what I aspire to. Kind to others and self. Generous, not referring to money, but my time, attention, prayers, positive energy.

Does your ringtone have a story behind it?

Comments