Miles, Styles, and Smiles

Today I am grateful for safe travels over the last three days and for the chance to get to know Arthur's fiance Alyssa and her family better.

We had a nice Thanksgiving and a good weekend that included miles, styles, and smiles.

The miles refer to the 10K Darcy and I ran on Thanksgiving for the Banquet, a food ministry in Sioux Falls and for the hour we ran on Friday morning in the bitter wind chill to check out new trail stretches near downtown Sioux Falls. But miles also refer to the many miles we covered to and from Sioux Falls and into Iowa for some wedding preparation stuff and to meet more of Alyssa's family. On our way back to Minnesota we drove through Spencer and Okoboji, Iowa too, just for old times' sake for me. I lived in Spencer for 6 years and taught there. The Okoboji area will always be dear to me . . . I met wonderful people there, and my recovery from alcoholism blossomed there. To top it off, it is where Darcy and I met. It was fun to drive through and stop in Spirit Lake at "Hey Good Cookies!" and enjoy a cookie and coffee.

Styles would refer to bridesmaid dresses. Emily, who will be Alyssa's maid of honor, tried on several dresses, but Alyssa, her mom Donna, Emily, and I all agreed on which dress was our favorite. It's the one Alyssa ended up picking. It was fun to be part of that.

Smiles. The highlighted smiles of the weekend would be when we were playing Apples to Apples and Buzz Word with Darcy's sister's family. We had a good time, laughed a lot, and shared the fun.Never underestimate the power of games.

I am tired. I am feeling like there is much to do at home now. But I am grateful for a good Thanksgiving weekend.  Have a good day! 

Comments