Bed of Nails

Today I am grateful for a comfy couch to snuggle on in the early morning hours. I am also grateful for the book Fine Black Lines: Reflections on Facing Cancer, Fear and Loneliness by Lois Tschetter Hjelmstad.

I was first introduced to Lois's writing via a great blog I follow called Nancy's Point (http://nancyspoint.com/) She wrote a guest blog post there, as did I a few weeks later. Her blog post was one I could relate to, being about why she chose not to have breast reconstruction. Lois is a poet, author, speaker, piano teacher, wife (of over 63 years), mother, grandmother. I ordered the book mentioned above and read one zinger of a poem after another. She's my kind of poet. Here is one of those zingers:

Bed of Nails
 
if you lay
a blanket of joy
over everything
 
the spikes keep poking through
 
perhaps it would be better to
flatten the points
first
 

(Excerpted from Fine Black Lines, copyright 1993, 2003 Lois Tschetter Hjelmstad.
Used by permission of the author.)


 
 
This poem hit me straight on when I read it for the first time, and it continues to do so every time I read it. It speaks to me of what the practice of gratitude is really about and can accomplish. True gratitude can bring joy, and it does bring joy to me in big and small ways on a regular basis. But it doesn't gloss over the pain, it doesn't just throw a blanket of false joy over everything.

Gratitude flattens the points to make them more bearable-the points of pain, disappointment, loss, illness, fear. It hurts but I'm still mobile. I miss him but I so appreciate the time we had together. My submission got rejected, but I'll keep trying because I love to write. Point flattening.

From one poet to another, thank you Lois!
 


Comments

  1. Lois is my kind of poet too. I just love her work. I'm glad you two "connected." Thanks for mentioning Nancy's Point! And thanks again for writing such a great guest post for me. Enjoy that comfy couch of yours with a good book in hand whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It continues to cure the skeptic in me who once felt that online connections were lacking something. They aren't lacking, they are just different. And meeting people like you and Lois is just proof that connecting in any way is of value. With snow in our neck of the woods, that comfy couch looks pretty inviting.
    Thanks Nancy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment