Starve or Feast?

What happens to one happens to us all. We can starve together or feast together.

Robin Wall Kimmerer

Are we starving or feasting right now? 

The cynic in me says we are feasting on misinformation and excuses. If it’s someone else’s problem or someone else’s fault; we are off the hook. We can be self-righteous in our judgment and complacency. That same cynic, and worried school counselor, also says that we are starving for true connections to other people and the world around us. 

The skeptic in me wonders what Planet Earth will look and feel like in the next decades. Can our environment be saved? Will we do what we need to do, individually and collectively, to save it and ourselves?

But there's a hopeful optimist within me too, fueled by the generous energy and grace created when I live gratefully. If I feed the present moment with even a little attention and awe, I will contribute to the feast of goodness that has always been here, even if the news and social media cover less of it than the headline- grabbing shockers that scroll across our screens. 

If you and I starve the unworthiness and hopelessness that knock at our door, seek entry into our heads and hearts, we stand a chance. It may feel like a frugal feast at first, but the plentitude will multiply. 

What needs feeding in my own life today? What can I bring to the table of humanity? Start here. 

Comments