A Little Mouse, Going Around in Circles

Today I am grateful for family time, safe travels, fall colors. And for being a runner. 

As I was running yesterday morning on a wooded trail, one of my favorite routes close to our house, I noticed movement up ahead. A little mouse came into focus and it seemed to be running in circles. I slowed to a stop and watched it for a bit. It was aware of my presence I think, but it didn’t dash off. 

It continued to skitter around in circles. I started rattling off questions in my brain: is this what mice do when they are scared? Is it looking for home or mom? Is there something wrong with it?  Poor thing. 

I took off running again and considered the times I run around in circles—either literally or figuratively. Higher Power or the trees probably look down and ask the same questions…what is she doing? Where is she going? It was a good reminder to me to avoid the figurative and frenetic circling I can be so good at in my head and in the hours of a day. Poor thing.

It was an out-and-back-run, so when I came past the same area a little while later, the mouse was still there and still running in circles. It paused from time to time, but when it moved again it was in circular fashion. I knew I had a question for Google when I got back home.

It turns out that it isn't all that uncommon for mice to run in circles and there can be many reasons why they do it. From boredom and getting attention, to inner ear infections, brain tumors, and parasites. Poor things.

If I catch myself running in circles today, I will have different answers as to why. Overdoing and overthinking, fear, worry, ego inflation, need for control, or some combination of all. But it's not poor me, it's "get your head out of your ___ " and stay present. Do the next right thing. Have a little faith would ya? 

Comments