A Brew Cycle

Living gratefully today, I savor the sights and sounds my senses bring to me.  

This morning I took a mindful approach to something I do pretty automatically every morning: making a pot of coffee.

The sound of water filling the reservoir. The feel of a filter as it's placed in the basket. The smell of coffee from the can. My eyes telling me when to stop pouring. The chugging and gurgling sounds of a brew cycle. The warmth from the pot as I stood near and inhaled the newly brewed coffee aroma. 

Fresh coffee smoothly pouring into a favorite mug. The feel of my fingers grasping the handle. Steam lifting and rolling from the cup. The first sips, almost hot on my lips and in my mouth. 

And then I started thinking about the origins of my coffee. It started on a plant. Beans were harvested. Nature and humans played their roles, as did machines. I savored another sip, considering the route and roads taken to get this coffee to the store where we bought it.    

Another sip enjoyed. Another day begins. 



Comments