Ode to Raking and Dancing, Playing and Silliness

Today I am grateful for family time and new local excursions this weekend. I also appreciate that gratefulness helps open me to playfulness.

I have been listening to a couple podcasts lately that spent some time talking about the importance of play for adults. If it's so good for kids, why do we lose so much of that idea as we "grow up?" So I took a little time yesterday morning to play. 

It started with some raking of leaves, a task I have always found enjoyable. Twenty minutes and I had two leaf bags full, after raking the old-fashioned way but with a better, more ergonomic tool than that of my childhood. As I raked, I thought of my childhood, and also that of our kids and grandkids and making piles to jump in. 

That task was done and I stepped into the garage. There was a song on the radio (yes, the radio, not my phone). It took me back to the 80's. Darcy was gone, so one stall was empty.The door was closed. I would be my only witness. Yep, I danced a little then and there. 

 I even created a little song as I went about my fun. My silly ode went something like this:

"Oh to rake and dance again with the child within. Oh to take some time for myself and get that rake off the shelf. Oh to dance around unseen, silly, but somewhat serene." 

Playful. Whimsical. I can’t take myself too seriously all the time, nor should I! 

Go play a little. Lighten up! Your heart and soul will thank you. 

Comments