Exquisite Privilege

Word for the Day 

"Life, what an exquisite privilege." 

Katie Rubinstein  

When I apply this lens, this idea of life as exquisite privilege, here are some of the things I notice:

*Looking at a "Blessed" sign in our family room and being struck not by the word itself, but the fact that I could see it, that I can see anything. 

*Driving home from work on a lovely fall day and experiencing the windows down, cool breeze, oldies music. Feeling and hearing . . . amazing senses I use throughout my day. 

*To be on the receiving end of a smile. From someone else. And sometimes even from myself in the mirror. 

*Having a closet full of clothes, some for each season and plenty of variety of occasions. 

*Warm water and pleasant smelling soap for washing my hands. 

*Access to trusted medical care just minutes from my home. 

*Reading words I wrote at painful times, knowing that I made it through, the poignancy of struggle . . . 

*The crescent moon in the night sky. 

*Laughter and honesty among recovering alcoholics and addicts. 

*A welcome night of rest in a comfortable bed, my husband next to me.

*A new morning, quiet meditation, and focus for the day ahead. That includes tasks I look forward to and others that I don't. It's all in a day. 

Life is an exquisite privilege. If I look with eyes of gratefulness, experience with all of my senses, how can it be anything else? 

Comments